RSS Feed

happy birthday baby girl (DIY Tissue Paper Pom Pom)

1

Friday, June 10, 2011 by

I cannot believe how time flies.  I remember first finding out I was pregnant, and before we knew it, we had our beautiful, 9lb baby girl in our arms!  Our little girl, Norelle, turned three on May 24th.  We are so lucky to have amazing friends and family in our lives and we look forward to celebrating her birthday with them every year.  I reeeeeally love decorating for her birthdays.  For her first birthday, we just went to our local party supplier and bought the typical pink and purple 1's, with the matching decorations, which was easy enough, but didn't quite do anything for my creative side.  Last year, we had a butterfly theme (I'll blog about those how-to's another time).  This year, we (and by we, I mean me, since my husband would probably just blow up 3 balloons and call that the "decorations") had a red and light blue colour theme.  Our house and backyard were filled with home made tissue paper pom-poms, a homemade bunting banner, and a cupcakes galore!










I really love oversized decorations for parties.  They really catch your eye and brighten up the space.  I made 2 large, and 6 small tissue paper pom-poms for a whopping $2!  I bought a red and baby blue package of large tissue paper from our local dollar store, and used floral wire and fishing wire that I had lying around at home for the rest.


How-to Tissue Paper Pom-Poms
Step 1: Place 8 sheets for a large (about 6 for a small) of tissue paper on top of one another on a flat surface.

Step 2: Measure just over an inch (it doesn't really matter the exact size), and make a fold in the tissue paper. Continue folding the layers of tissue paper together, accordion style.


Step 3: Wrap floral wire (any sort of wire would work, even a pipecleaner) around the centre of the folded tissue paper, twisting at the top, and creating a loop to hang your string from.


Step 4: Trim each of the ends of the tissue paper, whether rounded, or pointed.


Step 5: Begin to fan out the tissue paper on each side of the wire.  Slowly, and carefully use your fingers to start to seperate the layers of the tissue paper. Continue with all of the layers, and spread tissue paper around until it makes a complete circle.


Step 6: Add a string, and it's ready to hang!



Overall, it was a great party. Norelle had a ton of fun blowing bubbles and making a water slide out of her slide in the backyard!  Stay tuned for this upcoming Monday's post, where I will give my DIY bunting banner tutorial.


-A



1 comment

  1. I absolutely love the decorations you did for her birthday! So sweet, and you're right, oversized is so the way to go...
    Hope you had a blast.

    Pamela @ pbjstories.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Pages

Powered by Blogger.
My photo
we all have places go to, things to do, and people to see. i am a mom, a forever student, a soon-to-be teacher, an earth sympathizer, and a want-to-be do it yourselfer. this is the way i see life, with all the things i love about it.